By Shishir Gundavaram, Kapil Sharma, Deepak Thomas, Pancrazio De Mauro, Mark Mamone, Simon Whiting, Sandip Bhattacharya
What is that this e-book about?
Beginning Fedora 2 teaches you every little thing you want to be aware of as a way to set up, configure, use, and retain Fedora. This publication exact basically at readers who're utilizing (or making plans to take advantage of) the Fedora Linux working method for the 1st time. It deals the straightforward, plain-speaking counsel you wish as you start to discover the massive strength of open resource software.
The key positive aspects of the e-book comprise the following:
- Installing Linux, specifically the right way to organize so you do not get any nasty surprises midway through
- The fundamentals of Linux, together with a travel of the computing device interface and the way to exploit person bills, the Linux dossier approach, configuration, and handling your machine's resources
- Configuring your Linux computer to hook up with the web, or to an area zone community, for you to begin to ship and obtain e-mails and use the Internet
- Installing new programs, upgrading programs, and elimination packages
- Exploring the numerous purposes to accomplish daily initiatives, comparable to net browsers, workplace functions, and MP3 players
- Explaining how you can use the shell, together with combining instructions right into a script, defining the enter to (and output from) a script, and the way to construct logical buildings into scripts, get them to run in particular conditions, and deal with a number of projects on the related time
- A specific rationalization of the Linux dossier procedure, tips to deal with your records and directories, and the way to exploit the shell to generate and control the output from predefined or customized scripts
- Configuring your Linux desktop to supply companies to different machines on a community, resembling the best way to set your desktop up as a FTP server, an online server, a dossier server, a printer servers, a mail server, or a DHCP server
- Administration themes, similar to how one can examine procedure log records and use them to trace down issues of the procedure, backups and data, tarballs, and discover how you can customise and recompile the Linux kernel
- Using scripting, in particular Perl, to automate the typical activity of dealing with the log files
- Securing your laptop utilizing a firewall
New gains comprise the right way to perform the Fedora neighborhood, techniques for operating in an unsupported surroundings, find out how to stay alongside of middle releases, and more!
Read or Download Beginning Fedora 2 (Programmer to Programmer) PDF
Similar Linux books
In accordance with purple Hat firm Linux 7, the hot variation of this bestselling research advisor covers the up-to-date crimson Hat qualified procedure Administrator (RHCSA) and crimson Hat qualified Engineer (RHCE) assessments. RHCSA/RHCE crimson Hat Linux Certification examine consultant, seventh variation is totally revised to hide the lately published pink Hat company Linux 7 and the corresponding RHCSA and RHCE certification assessments.
The simplest totally built-in examine process AvailableWith thousands of perform questions and hands-on routines, RHCE crimson Hat qualified Engineer Linux examine consultant, 5th version covers what you want to know--and exhibits you ways to prepare--for this not easy examination. a hundred% entire insurance of all goals for examination RH302Exam Readiness record on the entrance of the book--you're prepared for the examination whilst all ambitions at the checklist are checked offInside the examination sections in each bankruptcy spotlight key examination issues coveredReal-world workouts modeled after hands-on examination scenariosTwo entire lab-based checks simulate the layout, tone, subject matters, and trouble of the genuine examBonus content material (available for obtain) comprises set up reveal evaluate, uncomplicated directions for utilizing VMware and Xen as testbeds, and paper and pencil models of the lab examsCovers all RH302 examination themes, including:Hardware set up and configuration The boot processLinux filesystem administrationPackage administration and KickstartUser and crew administrationSystem management toolsKernel companies and configurationApache and SquidNetwork dossier sharing providers (NFS, FTP, and Samba)Domain identify method (DNS)E-mail (servers and clients)Extended net prone Daemon (xinetd), the safe package deal, and DHCPThe X Window SystemFirewalls, SELinux, and troubleshooting
To be used with all types of Linux, together with Ubuntu,™ Fedora,™ openSUSE,™ pink Hat,® Debian, Mandriva, Mint, and now OS X, too! Get extra performed quicker, and develop into a real Linux guru by way of getting to know the command line! examine from thousands of life like, top of the range examples NEW! insurance of the Mac OS X command line and its detailed instruments NEW!
“As an writer, editor, and writer, I by no means paid a lot cognizance to the competition–except in a number of situations. this is often a kind of instances. The UNIX process management guide is without doubt one of the few books we ever measured ourselves opposed to. ” –From the Foreword by means of Tim O’Reilly, founding father of O’Reilly Media “This e-book is enjoyable and useful as a machine reference.
Additional resources for Beginning Fedora 2 (Programmer to Programmer)