By William L. Barney
The Civil struggle was once the main devastating occasion in U.S. heritage, within which over part 1000000 american citizens paid for his or her ideals with their lives. The heroic battles, harrowing marches, and armed forces genius of generals on either side nonetheless encourage books, video clips, and the imaginations of Civil warfare buffs. much less noticeable are the industrial, political, social, and cultural repercussions of the conflict, which proceed to persuade American lifestyles. Reconstruction and the top of slavery introduced deep-seated difficulties to the reunited nation.
This single-volume encyclopedia comprises 245 entries on all features of the conflicted period. It positive factors articles on:
* Battles and campaigns (Gettysburg, Shiloh, Sherman's March to the Sea)
* tradition (music, images, religion)
* financial affairs (cost of the warfare, gold, Richmond Bread Riot)
* overseas affairs (France, nice Britain, Laird rams)
* health and wellbeing and welfare (disease, medication, prisons)
* Ideologies (federalism, free-labor ideology)
* Legislative landmarks (14th modification, Fugitive Slave Act of 1850, Wade-Davis bill)
* army phrases, procedure, and weaponry (cavalry, rifles, tactics)
* Minorities (black suffrage, emancipation, local Americans)
* Political occasions and organisations (Constitutional Union social gathering, election of 1860, fire-eaters)
* trendy members (Clara Barton, Frederick Douglass, Robert E. Lee, Abraham Lincoln, Walt Whitman)
* Social reform (abolitionism, women's rights movement)
* girls (nurses, ladies within the conflict, person women)
More than 2 hundred black-and-white illustrations, together with over a dozen maps, supplement the entries. a listing of chosen Civil warfare museums and historical websites, feedback for additional analyzing, instructed web pages, and a chronology of the battle around out this crucial resource.
Oxford's pupil partners to American historical past are cutting-edge references for college and residential, in particular designed and written for a long time 12 via grownup. every one e-book is a concise yet entire A-to-Z consultant to an immense ancient interval or subject in U.S. heritage, with articles on key matters and in demand members. The authors--distinguished students famous of their parts of expertise--ensure that the entries are actual, up to date, and obtainable. precise good points contain an introductory part on tips on how to use the e-book, additional interpreting lists, cross-references, chronology, and entire index.
Read or Download The Civil War and Reconstruction: A Student Companion (Student Companions to American History) PDF
Best Encyclopedias books
"A significant other to be cherished," "judicious and authoritative," "informative and entertaining," "an priceless paintings of reference"--these are only many of the words utilized by reviewers to explain the Oxford spouse to Irish historical past. With over 1,800 entries, this acclaimed Companion--now to be had within the Oxford Paperback Reference series--offers a accomplished and authoritative advisor to all features of Ireland's prior, from earliest instances to the current day.
Whereas electronic applied sciences have revolutionized the publishing global within the twenty-first century, something nonetheless continues to be precise: The Chicago handbook of favor is the authoritative, depended on resource that writers, editors, and publishers flip to for information on variety and procedure. For the 16th version, each element of insurance has been reconsidered to mirror how publishing pros paintings at the present time.
Over the past twenty years, there was an expanding curiosity in feminist perspectives of the Italian literary culture. whereas feminist thought and technique were authorized through the educational neighborhood within the U. S. , the location is particularly diversified in Italy, the place such paintings has been performed principally open air the academy.
Extra info for The Civil War and Reconstruction: A Student Companion (Student Companions to American History)