By William L. O'Neill
International struggle II used to be the bloodiest and farthest-reaching army clash in human heritage, which ended in the annihilation of a few 60 million humans. This authoritative and thorough quantity summarizes the basic information about the struggle in bright, available entries. It features:
* short biographical graphics of remarkable army and political leaders, from Bradley to Zhukov
* informative analyses of important battles and political occasions, from blitzkrieg to Yalta
* information on army corporations, military, military, and air strength devices, and theaters of war
* descriptions of person weapon periods, from flame throwers to U-boats
* insightful articles on war-related concerns, akin to domestic entrance and financing the war
* profiles of the main engaging countries
* clarification of war-specific phrases, comparable to unconditional quit and civil defense
* entries on lesser recognized topics--including Navajo code breakers and Afrika corps
* extra interpreting lists following each one entry
* a listing of museums and historic websites, together with online information
* an entire chronology of vital dates
* Cross-references following each one entry
whereas focusing totally on the yankee battle attempt, the writer has integrated huge fabric concerning the different significant contributors within the conflictnotably the Soviet Union, Germany, Japan, nice Britain, France, Italy, and China. O'Neill doesn't hesitate to take on debatable issues--from the atomic bomb to the inability of an American heavy tank. Over 220 pictures and maps, and a close index make World battle II: A scholar Companion an outstanding introductory source for college students and readers drawn to glossy heritage.
Read Online or Download World War II: A Student Companion (Student Companions to American History) PDF
Similar Encyclopedias books
"A better half to be cherished," "judicious and authoritative," "informative and entertaining," "an important paintings of reference"--these are only the various words utilized by reviewers to explain the Oxford better half to Irish heritage. With over 1,800 entries, this acclaimed Companion--now to be had within the Oxford Paperback Reference series--offers a accomplished and authoritative consultant to all features of Ireland's prior, from earliest occasions to the current day.
Whereas electronic applied sciences have revolutionized the publishing international within the twenty-first century, something nonetheless is still actual: The Chicago guide of favor is the authoritative, depended on resource that writers, editors, and publishers flip to for assistance on type and strategy. For the 16th version, each point of assurance has been reconsidered to mirror how publishing pros paintings at the present time.
Over the past twenty years, there was an expanding curiosity in feminist perspectives of the Italian literary culture. whereas feminist idea and method were authorised via the educational group within the U. S. , the location is particularly diverse in Italy, the place such paintings has been performed mostly outdoor the academy.
Additional resources for World War II: A Student Companion (Student Companions to American History)